Thursday, January 22, 2015

Loki Build, Part 1

Hi guys! I'm new around these parts, so allow me to introduce myself. I go by Jo, I'm a nerd by birth, and an accomplished seamstress, so I cosplay quite a bit. It was with my recent costumes of Thor and Loki that I realized that the sewing just wasn't enough for me any more. So I started my first experiments with Pepakura and fiberglass with a simple Mask of Truth build. Once I learned the basic techniques, I started in on my first major project: Loki's helm.

I started with KaiserLee's model (Loki Helmet Finished by KaiserLee on deviantART), but after the first round of building, I realized how ridiculously big my head is. I ended up having to scale it up over 20% to get it to fit on my big noggin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name: 20131009_174230.jpg 
Views: 77 
Size: 318.8 KB 
ID: 265910

This is the bare paper after I got the sizing to my liking. I still felt like it wasn't quite right, but I decided to move forward with it anyways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name: 20131105_164213.jpg 
Views: 76 
Size: 1.76 MB 
ID: 265912

This is after the external resining of the helmet. I ended up going over the horns twice for extra reinforcement since I knew I wasn't going to get in to fiberglass them. I ended up filling them with expanding foam (oops, didn't take any pictures of that phase) to stabilize them. I considered an aggressive rondoing, but I thought it might get too heavy in the horns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name: 20131106_091901.jpg 
Views: 75 
Size: 2.29 MB 
ID: 265913

This was the fiberglassing from the inside. It's going to take a fair amount of cleaning up around the edges, but that's nothing a little time with the dremel can't fix. I showed it to my Thor at this point, and she was thoroughly impressed with the sturdiness of the fiberglass, so I decided I'm going to make her a helmet too. But back to Loki. I filled the horns, but I accidentally put a little too much foam in, and they over expanded. I took off the inside of the horns and carved them down to size earlier today, and added a layer of rondo over the top earlier in the night. I'll be sanding them down tomorrow, and starting work on sanding down the body of the helmet as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment